DCSIMG

Warning to pet owners following deaths due to antifreeze poisoning

A concerned Laurencekirk resident is issuing a warning to pet ownners following the deaths of two cats in the area.

Two cats in the Kirkside Scotia Estate, Laurencekirk, lost their lives this week due to anti-freeze poisoning.

The resident said: “Most people are unaware of the hidden dangers to animals and young children. Unfortunately many cats find the taste of antifreeze very attractive, and ingesting even the smallest amount can lead to kidney failure and death.

“I ask you to check your outside areas to ensure there are no containers of anti-freeze or leaks from vehicle radiators.”

Se says the SSPCA Poision Unit have been notified and are collating information.

Scottish SPCA Chief Superintendent Mike Flynn said, “We are very sorry to hear of these sad incidents. Antifreeze (ethylene glycol) is one of the most common causes of cat poisoning, particularly in the winter months. The liquid is usually colourless and odourless, but it has a sweet taste that appeals to dogs in particular, but cats will also ingest it.

“By the time symptoms occur, such as vomiting, lethargy and, in the latter stages, head shaking and coma, it is normally too late to treat. Renal failure is most often the cause of death, with irreparable damage to the kidneys. “It may be that people have been servicing their cars in preparation for cold weather. Changing the coolant can result in spills so we are urging drivers to take extra care and to dispose of antifreeze properly.

VIGILANT

“Pet owners in the area should be vigilant when letting their cats out of the house, and should supervise their animals where possible.”

Anyone with concerns or information relating to animal poisoning can call our Animal Helpline on 03000 999 999.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page