SFRS smoke alarm reminder after Stonehaven house fire

SFRS in attendance last Thursday (Picture Walter Fillingham via twitter)
SFRS in attendance last Thursday (Picture Walter Fillingham via twitter)
0
Have your say

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service has issued a reminder to the public about the importance of having a working smoke alarm after firefighters rescued a man from a house fire in Stonehaven at Woodview Court last Thursday (November 12).

Two appliances from Stonehaven and one from Altens arrived within three minutes of the 8.02pm call and crews in breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet to extinguish a small fire in the kitchen.

The property was heavily smoke logged and firefighters used a PPV (positive pressure ventilation) fan to clear the area. They located a man, who was not awake, and rescued him from the house. He was suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation and placed in the care of the Scottish Ambulance Service.

Stonehaven Watch Manager John Strachan said: “The call was received from a neighbour who had heard the property’s smoke alarm going off intermittently over a period of time. The person who reported it to us said they could also smell smoke. When we arrived the property was fully smoke logged and we used the fan to clear the area and extinguished the fire. We located the occupant and led him to safety.

“There is no doubt that had it not been for the neighbour hearing the smoke alarm and contacting us then this could have been a far more tragic outcome.

“It underlines the importance of having working smoke detection in your home and that you check it regularly. There were bags taped over the smoke alarm in this property as the householder claimed they were causing annoyance due to cooking fumes and steam from the shower, but we would strongly advise against this dangerous practice.

“Smoke alarms should be uncovered and in good working order.”