Care home nurse suspended following death of patient

THE nurse who was in charge of Mowat Court Care Home in Stonehaven when an 89-year-old resident died has been suspended.

Pamela Tavendale’s case was heard before the Nurse and Midwifery Council last month when the decision was made to suspended her from the profession for 18 months while the nursing watchdog investigates the circumstances surrounding the death of Mrs Gladys Burr.

The panel at the hearing, which Miss Tavendale did not attend, heard that a complaint was made by the family of a resident who was concerned with the care being received.

A meeting between Miss Tavendale and the family took place on January 16, 2012. It has been alleged that this meeting was not recorded and that the concerns raised by the family were not actioned by Ms Tavendale.

It is also alleged that there had been no adequate risk assessment, and the panel concluded that an 18 month ban was essential to “protect the public.

The Nursing and Midwifery Council said a full and proper investigation was being carried out into Ms Tavendale’s conduct during her time at Mowat Court Care home.


Mrs Burr’s family claim that, had she received proper treatment, she would have lived longer.

The mother-of-three, from Inverurie, moved into Mowat Court in October 2011.

However, it has been claimed that her condition began to deteriorate within weeks and she died last February.

It was also announced this week that a second senior staff member at the Mowat Court care home is under investigation.

Ian Anderson, a former manager, has been reprimanded by health chiefs over his conduct while he ran the facility.

The Care Inspectorate has published a 36-page report, detailing its findings, after looking into the Burr family’s complaints of which 11 have been upheld.

The report also highlighted what the regulatory body described as an “inadequate and unacceptable” quality of record-keeping and the dispensing of anti-psychotic drugs and sedatives without staff realising the “detrimental” effect they would have on patients.

The report said this demonstrated that records had gone missing, and upheld the complaint that Mowat Court had failed to meet residents’ needs by not having enough staff on duty.