From the files

From our own archive, we bring you what happened in the Mearns in history.

25 YEARS AGO - Friday February 22nd 1991

Tent attack “just a joke” - and convicted youth is fined £60.

An Inverbervie youth was convicted last week for his part in a savage early morning attack which terrified members of a visiting Boys Brigade troop - and caused more than £1,000 worth of damage.

In the dock at Kincardine/Deeside District Court was Andrew Munro (17), of 34 Church Street, Inverbervie, who admitted taking part in a raid on camp set up at the Haughs by the 30th Dundee Co. Boys Brigade - a group who have been visiting the Burgh for over 40 years.

He told the court: “We didn’t damage the tent by slashing them with knives or anything like that - we just let them down as a joke.”

However, this “joke” shocked and embarrassed the people of Inverbervie, prompting a number of fundraising events to help replace the ruined tents. Memnbers of the troop were asleep at around 2am on Sunday, July 8 last year when their six ridge tents were flattened above their heads. Some of the boys were trapped inside and the boys could be heard laughing as they ran off. It was later discovered that three of the tents had been completely destroyed.

Mrs Elizabeth McIntyre, justice of the peace, said: “This sort of thing, which you consider to be a joke, is actually very serious. You are an adult. This sort of behaviour should stop.”

50 YEARS AGO - Friday February 18 1966

Rifled till in hotel at Inverbervie - “astonishing lapse” by Gourdon youth.

So that he could continue his promising career in the Royal Navy without his record containing a conviction for theft in a civil court, Ian Murray Ritchie (19), an electrical mechanic at R.N.A.S. Lossiemouth, was given an absolute discharge by Sheriff J. Aikman Smith at Stonehaven Sheriff Court on Wednesday.

Sheriff Smith told Ritchie: “I find it difficult to know how to deal with this. It would be a simple matter to impose a fine, but that would result in a criminal conviction for dishonesty.

“You have a promising career in the Royal Navy, and it’s open to your commanding officer to take any action he sees fit. I think I will let the navy deal with you. You have behaved very badly. I am giving you an absolute discharge in the belief that you have learned your lesson.”

Ritchie, whose home is in Gourdon, pleaded guilty to stealing £8 10/- from the Castle Hotel, Inverbervie on 27th of December.

The fiscal, Mr. W. B. Agnew, said Mr Ritchie had gone outside and round the back of the premises, knowing where to get in where the money was. He rifled the till.

The theft was disc overed the next morning.

100 YEARS AGO - Thursday February 16th 1916

A local centenarian - Now resident on Deeside.

Few people in the British Isles can boast of having been born “when George the Third was reigning, a hundred years ago.”

Among those who have had this rare distinction is Mrs Jolly Hunter, mother of the tennant of the Neuk of Crathes.

Exactly a century ago early in February, Susan Eddie was born at Crossgates Farm, Dunnottar, then tenanted by her father, Mr David Edie. When little more than 20 years of age she became the wife of Mr Robert Anderson, farmer, Kirktown, Fetteresso, who passed away many years ago. Since her widowhood she has resided with her son, Mr William Jolly, formerly tenant of Burn and Guine Farm, Glenbervie, and who for the past 25 years has lived in retirement at the Neuk, Crathes, Banchory-Ternan.

On the 100th anniversary of her birthday, Mrs Anderson was visited by a steady stream of friends and well-wishers from various parts of Deeside.

Among the callers on that auspicious occassion was Sir Thomas Burnett, Bart, or Crathes Castle, who tended his hearty congratulations to the oldest inhabitant on his estate.

Lady Burnett, who is at present confined to her room, sent a letter of regret at being unable to visit Mrs Anderson.