Campaigners for a flyover at a dangerous junction in the Mearns have hit out at the Government underspend this week.
The Scottish Government has had an underspend of £444m, with £102m of it coming from the Infrastructure Budget.
Liberal Democrat campaigner for Angus, Sanjay Samani, and Montrose Councillor David May have both hit out at the underspend saying it could be used to fund the Laurencekirk flyover.
The Access to Laurencekirk consultation is due to take place next Wednesday, January 21, from 2-8pm at the Dickson Hall in Laurencekirk.
Cllr May said: “Sanjay and I have backed Jill Fotheringham’s campaign for a flyover at Laurencekirk for many years.
‘‘The news that, on Infrastructure, £102 million was left unspent will be a body blow for those desperate to see safety at the junction improved.”
Jill Fotheringham, on the A937/A90 Campaign page, had her say on the underspend to over 3500 members - and urged people to head along to the meeting next week.
She added: “As I said in a previous post, last year the Scottish Government had an underspend of £444 million.
“From this amount, £102 million was from the Infrastructure Budget. We’ve been led to believe, for a long time, that there was a lack of funds to provide a flyover at Laurencekirk yet - from the very budget that would fund the project - £102 million remains unspent.
“I think we should all get along to the consultation meeting and have our say.”
People have been invited to expres their opinions on the findings of a study commissioned last December by the North East of Scotland Transport Partnership (Nestrans) in conjunction with Transport Scotland, Tactran, Aberdeenshire and Angus Councils.
The study’s aim is to develop a preferred solution for access between the A90 trunk road and Laurencekirk and Montrose that is cost effective, improves road safety and meets the needs of local businesses and residents, while ensuring the efficient operation of Laurencekirk High Street.