AC Mill Inn v Luthermuir

Luthermuir visited Stonehaven for the second time in 5 days following their weekend win over Stonehaven Athletic. A win was again a must for the Muir with many games remaining as they continue to climb the league. Following the snow early in the week the pitch was surprisingly in superb condition. The start to the game was fairly evenly matched with the Mill Inn long balls from the keeper and long throws into the box causing some problems for Luthermuir. In return the home defence was struggling with e pace of Greig and Cruikshank and seemed to be getting away with certain fouls to restrict their pace. Luthermuir opened the scoring in 15 minutes when the ball was played through to Cruikshank who brushed off the defender and side footed past the keeper high into the corner of the net. Luthermuir got their second 10 minutes later when Greig cut in from the right and fired a great strike low into the bottom corner from 20 yards. Mill Inn continued to pump the ball towards the visiting defence but a series of good defensive headers and saves from Wands kept them at bay. Mill Inn did get a goal on 35 minutes when a high cross from the right was left by Reid following a shout from Wands but the attacking midfielder got to the ball first to head past Wands into the empty net. It was a bad goal to concede but Luther continued to press. Luthermuir continued to press and were getting dismayed at how continual fouls against were being overlooked by the referee. Luthermuir restored their two goal advantage before the break when a corner was headed into his own net by the defender while under pressure from Wood.

HT 1-3

The second half started as fired up as the first half with some good challenges being made in the middle of the park. Again, long throw ins were being defended well my the Muir defence. Luther had a few chances when they got into the box but the final shot or pass let them down on a few occasions. Mill Inn continued to make a game of it and had some chances themselves which Wands handled well. Luthermuir had a stonewall penalty waved away on 30 minutes when Greig nipped in between the keeper and last defender and as he was about to shoot was blatantly pulled down off balance by the chasing defender. As a result, Greigs weak shot was cleared off the line. Mill Inn had possibly more possession in the last 15 minutes as they attacked the Muir defence on numerous occasions. Their best chance was a deflected shot from the edge of the box looped up over Wands. It was dipping under the bar until Wands got a great hand to tip it onto the bar and Duff was equally alert to clear the rebound with a diving header as the striker was about to score. A very satisfying 6 points won in Stonehaven in the last 2 games continues the good run from Luthermuir in the league. Every game is a big game now if they want to win the league so this must continue with the visit of RGU at the we