Bervie back in action with a win

Bervie returned to league action after no game the previous week and with a number of players missing were forced to make changes to the line-up and formation, reverting to three at the back which they had played in previous seasons.

Bervie started on the front foot and threatened early on. McLaughlin was put through one on one with the keeper who saved well from the in-form striker.

The first goal came shortly after.

A throw in was flicked on by McLaughlin to Blacklaw who crossed for Anderson to steer home. Bervie were having a lot of joy down the right hand side, and Smith’s throw in found Anderson whose cross was blocked for a corner.

Having comprehensively beaten Huntly earlier in the season Bervie could have been forgiven for thinking they would get this all their own way, however Huntly gave a reminder they were in this game when a long ball forward caught the defence out and Leisk had to be alert to come out and smother the ball at the feet of the forward. From Leisk’s long kick Blacklaw flicked the ball on to put Anderson through one on one with the keeper for the striker to slot home the second of the game.

Bervie were threatening to run away with this game and the home side’s keeper did well to save from McLaughlin once again.

Bervie’s third came from a corner, finding Wood who slotted home at the near post. Bervie continued to press and Anderson had another cross blocked for another corner, from the resultant corner Blacklaw sent the ball the back post this time where McLaughlin rose well to head home the fourth.

Wotherspoon was next to try and only another fine save from the home keeper kept his effort out. Leisk had to be alert once again to save well from a long range effort which Bervie were slow to close down.

With Bervie having the majority of the play Karpinski and Thomson did well to combine only for the keeper to tip the effort over for yet another corner. This time Blacklaw’s curling ball deceived everyone and went directly in to give Bervie a five goal lead.

Just before half time Huntly gave themselves some hope, another long ball evaded the Bervie defence, Leisk came out but the forward beat him to the ball and lifted it over the keeper for a half time score of 5-1.

Bervie started the second half slowly and the game became very scrappy, another long ball caught Bervie flat footed and the forward slotted home a second for the home side to give them a glimmer of hope.

Undeterred Bervie tried to play football and kept pressing, Karpinski did well to pick the ball up on the edge of his box and sprint forward to the opposing goal, however his ball across was blocked for yet another Bervie corner which was then cleared. The home keeper did well once again when this time Wood went through one on one, the keeper again saving.

In keeping with the way the second half was going for Bervie, McLaughlin was sent clean through again, only for him to lift the ball over the keeper but wide for a goal kick.

Bervie sealed the game with a sixth goal five minutes from the end. Blacklaw found Thomson who calmly slotted home.

Bervie: T. Leisk, S. Smith, K. Gordon, M. Davies, A.Wood, C. Thomson, J. Karpinski, D. Blacklaw, L. Wotherspoon, H. Anderson, J. McLaughlin. Subs: M. Morris, Jaydon McLaughlin (trialist).