Cowie exit cup after long lay-off

Cowie Thistle 2 Woodside 4

Cowie Thistle took to the field for the first time in over two months on Saturday, when they welcomed Premier League rivals Woodside for a North of Scotland Cup tie.

Woodside started well and deservedly took the lead within the first 15 minutes when the ball arrived at the feet of a striker in the box and he stroked it home.

This setback seemed to spark Cowie to life and immediately they began to press the visitors back into their own half and create some chances of their own. Cahill tried to set Fraser free in the box but his attempted pass was intercepted by a defender who clearly used his hand to divert the ball, but the referee waved play on.

Cowie went close again when Fraser attempted to find the net from a tight angle after the goalie rushed off his line leaving the goal exposed. Unfortunately for Cowie a defender managed to get back in time to head clear.

The pressure soon told however and Cowie equalised when a through ball by Davo was knocked on towards Cahill who looked offside but the referee waved play on leaving Cahill to lift the ball over the advancing keeper and into the net much to the annoyance of the visitors.

Cowie could have taken the lead moments after when the goalkeeper dropped the ball at Cahill’s feet but the striker’s effort was blocked on the line by a defender.

Cowie kicked off the second half but unfortunately it was the visitors who struck early to take a 2-1 lead. Woodside continued to press and should have extended their lead further but Adie pulled off three great saves to keep them out.

Adie could not do it all himself and eventually the pressure told and Woodside added a third when Cowie failed to clear their lines. Matthews got his rear end in the way of an Adie clearance which resulted in the ball falling to the unmarked striker to slide the ball into the net.

Eventually Cowie did score when the hard working Fowler netted after a pass from Riddle. This goal gave Cowie a lift and they went in search of the goal that would level the match.

With the game evenly poised the next goal was going to be crucial and it went to the visitors after a comedy of errors at the back.

A long ball was played into the box and Matthews galloped to clear it but somehow missed it which resulted in the ball hitting the unaware Riddell behind him and bouncing into the net for an own goal.

Despite the result, Cowie can take a lot from a game in which they continued to attempt to play the passing football which has elevated them to league challengers.

Cowie will hope to return to winning ways when they face Kintore at Minerwell this Saturday. Three points could make them joint league leaders.