Cowie Thistle take on Echt

With both sides having lost their opening League fixture,little doubt both camps were keen to start putting points on the board in this clash at Stonehaven.

Monday, 20th August 2012, 3:55 pm

Chris Collie who missed the whole of last season with an injury enforced absence started this one at the heart of the Echt defence and with midfielder Jamie Wood and frontrunner Greg Kane also available the Echt line-up had a more balanced look about it.

The homesters made by far the better start and first Fraser and then central defender Matthews, up in attack failed to find the net from close in scoring positions, the latter albeit denied only by a Gordon Kessack tip over.

Marc Lawrence warmed the hands of home keeper Adie at the end of the first Echt threat on the home goal.

Cowie opened the scoring in 12mins when Cahill from the left edge of the Echt box floated a cross cum shot across goals and it looped high over Kessack to find net inside the far post,due reward for the home sides excellent start. Kessack by far the busier keeper pulled off a fine save from a Fraser header on a near post

right flag kick delivery by Barbour at the expense of another corner,this one, delivered deeper,saw the Echt custodian forced into an instinctive block save on a Fowler volley.

In 20 mins Paul Presslie created space on the edge of the Cowie box to get a strike on target that Adie held.

Referee Hudson dismissed Kane for an off

the ball incident in 21mins and as so often happens in football, thereafter ten man Echt began to impose themselves on the game.

Full back Stuart Cooper strode forward on the left and threaded a great through ball that Wood latched onto, and his low drive was stopped by Adie’s outstretched foot in 30 mins.

Cowie’s Watson was red carded in 35mins for a second bookable offence Echt lived dangerously again on the 40 min mark,a midfielder left three Echt shirts in his wake along the left byline and teed up a supporting teammate to

perfection,but again Kessack saved the day.

ht 1-0

The second period started with Echt more and more asking questions of the home side whose early match dominance had certainly gone and at the end of a flowing, Echt, right side move involving several players the ball was played into the home box and Wood created space to beat Adie with a chipped finish and level the score at

1-1 in 55mins.

Kessack was forced into another fine diving save to deny Cowie restoring their lead in 59mins and Philip Craig then fired, across Adie’s goal and agonisingly wide as Echt raced to the other end.

In 69 mins a Cooper netbound effort of a Lawrence corner was scrambled off the Cowie line and three mins later Paul Presslie climbed high to direct a looping header just off target on a Stewart McLaren lofted ball into the Cowie box.

Echt swopped Lawrence for Darren MacLeod in 73 mins and within a minute both he and Wood had tested Adie as Echt turned the scew in their quest for a winner.The injured Alan Daun was replaced by Scott Aberdein for the final stages and both sides settled for a share of the spoils, which was probably about right at the end of an entertaining 90mins with goalmouth action aplenty at either end.