Bervie’s fine victory over promotion rivals

Bervie returned to league action on Saturday, travelling north to face third placed Huntly with a number of enforced changes.

With Leisk, Sawyer and Montgomerie all missing, McLaughlin was in goal with Boyd and Anderson both coming into the starting 11.

Bervie were were out of the blocks quickly, Anderson winning the ball and feeding Salmond on the right, his ball forward to Collie split the defence however the forward was adjudged to be off side.

Bervie did threaten when Blacklaw did well to cross the ball which beat the keeper but was just out of Salmond’s reach.

Bervie were having the lion’s share of possession and Webster did well to win the ball in the centre and feed Anderson who played forward to Collie whose effort went over.

Collie turned provider next, Gordon clearing and Collie flicking on for Salmond who closed in on goal but dragged his effort wide.

As the game progressed Bervie were becoming more dominant and a good move saw Anderson swing a cross over from the left for Salmond whose effort went over.

Next to try his luck was Anderson, Collie turned neatly near the half way line and fed Smith who played a good ball forward for Salmond, his cross found Anderson at the back post but his effort was saved.

Bervie’s pressure earned them a corner when a ball forward was chased down by Webster and it was from this the opener came, a good ball in saw Boyd scramble it home to give Bervie a deserved lead.

The second wasn’t long in coming; Anderson playing a one-two with Collie whose effort was saved winning another corner and this time it was Salmond who swept the ball home at the near post.

Huntly were threatening on occasion and Webster and Davies both had to be alert to make good clearances from crosses.

Bervie had a golden chance to grab a third and kill the match off just before half time, a well weighted ball forward found Collie who was a little too casual with his effort allowing the keeper to saved.

Bervie started the second half playing into a strong headwind but it wasn’t long before they threatened again, Anderson and Collie combining to set Blacklaw free down the right only to see the defender recover and get a good block in. Blacklaw was looking dangerous down the left and did well to swing the ball over, Anderson doing well to control the ball and get his effort away only to see the keeper save.

McHardy was next to try his luck doing well to win the ball in midfield and driving forward before firing an effort in on goal.

With the wind at their backs Huntly’s keeper was attempting to launch the ball as far up the pitch whenever he could but Davies was reading these and doing well to get his head to the ball. However Huntly pulled one back when Bervie lost the ball at a throw down the left, a quick ball forward found Boyd too far forward allowing the forward to move in and lift over McLaughlin.

Bervie remained calm and continued to dominate and soon restored their two-goal lead, Anderson did well to win the ball on the right and find Salmond who fed Webster who played back out to the right where Anderson swung over a lovely cross that Collie controlled beautifully with one touch before dispatching into the roof of the net to grab Bervie’s third and his customary minimum goal a match.

Bervie grabbed a fourth, this time from the opposite wing, Blacklaw beating his man and sending the ball over for Salmond to race onto and finish confidently for his second of the match.

An excellent win for Bervie away to one of their promotion rivals under difficult circumstances however the strength and spirit of the team showed with McLaughlin admirably stepping up and playing in a position which isn’t natural to him.

Bervie: J. McLaughlin, S. Smith, M. Davies, K. Gordon (Cpt), E. Boyd, K. Webster, D. Salmond, G. McHardy, D. Blacklaw, H. Anderson, M. Collie. Subs: M. Morris, S. Lockhart, A. Wood.