Final home game of season for Luthermuir

Luthermuir WFC in action in their last home game of the season
Luthermuir WFC in action in their last home game of the season
Share this article

Luthermuir WFC had their last home game of the 2014 season when they had Buchan Youth travel to Luthermuir on a nice and sunny afternoon.

Luthermuir were hoping to put the disappointing result from the previous weekend’s game behind them and get three points. The first real chance of the game came on 4 minutes when Murison realised Lownie in behind the defence and as she bared down on goal her shot hit the far post after leaving the keeper stranded and was then cleared.

Luthermuir WFC in action in their last home game of the season

Luthermuir WFC in action in their last home game of the season

Luthermuir looked nervous and were not holding onto the ball with some panicking passes. On 13 minutes Murison collected the ball down the left and cut into the box where she fired at goal but the keeper saved well. On 17 minutes a good ball down the right from Walker to Lownie had her clear, she tried cutting the ball back but it was cleared for a corner, Walker whipped over the ball and Lownie headed it wide.

The game became quite even with both teams sharing the position over the next ten minutes but no cutting edge in the final quarter. On 31 minutes a great chance for Lownie when the Buchan team tried to play the offside and she was clear, with only the keeper to beat Lownie tamely fired it into her arms with a great chance spurned. Buchan worked the ball down the right and gained a corner on 36 minutes, the ball was whipped over to the near post and Charles could only punch it into her own net for 1-0. The first half then came to an end with no chances further created.

Luthermuir WFC management had strong word with the girls at half time to remind them to start playing better football and work to get back in the game. On 48 minutes the first chance of the half resulted in a goal when Boyack sent the ball through the back line for Lownie to race onto, the keeper came out and missed her kick were it fell to Lownie’s feet and she made no mistake in firing it home for 1-1. Luthermuir then made a change with bringing on Andrew for Fotheringham.

Walker then worked well down the left a few minutes later and created a good chance when she cut inside to fire at goal but the keeper saved well. Brough then on 58 minutes played the ball through to Murison to go clear of the back line but she fired her shot wide of the post. Luthermuir then went into the lead on 66 minutes when a ball though the back line from Calder had Lownie clear of the back line, as she raced towards goal she fired it high past the keeper for 2-1. This settled down the Luthermuir Women and they started to create more chances and pass the ball around.

On 72 minutes a foul on Walker out on the left was fired at goal by Brough but the keeper saved well. Lownie and Murison worked the ball well together on 78 minutes where Murison created a space just inside the box but her shot was saved by the keeper. On 82 minutes Luthermuir killed off the game when Andrew was fouled just outside the box dead centre and Walker stepped up to fire her shot past the wall and into the net for 3-1. Luthermuir then made a change with Hendry going off for Mowatt to join the action.

The goal killed of Buchan and Luthermuir then saw out of the rest of the game by holding onto the ball with some nice passing but no clear cut chances before the end.

Luthermuir Team 3-5-2: Charles, Godsall, Hendry (Mowatt), Middleton, Calder, Boyack, Walker, Brough Fotheringham (Andrew), Murison, Lownie, – Subs: Nicol, Wallace

Man of the Match: Stacey Boyack

Match Ball Sponsor: Glenesk Travel, Edzell