Four-goal Dee dump Luthermuir at home...

Luthermuir WFC against Dee
Luthermuir WFC against Dee

Luthermuir WFC went down to a four-goal defeat playing at home to league leaders Dee Vale on a glorious and sunny afternoon.

The game started with neither teams breaking down the defence for the first 10 minutes and pretty even. Luthermuir then suffered a setback on 13 minutes when Coutts went off with a groin strain and was replaced by Burn with a reshuffle to the team.

First chance fell to Luthermuir after 15 minutes when Hendry played the ball forward and Burn tried to head it over the goal keeper from 15 yards but it was saved well. Luthermuir then made a change with their formation to 442 to press their opponents more in their own half.

A corner down the right was swung over by Walker and as it was headed clear Brough took it down and fired just wide of the post.

Dee then had a good chance when a free kick down the left was swung into the box; the attacker took a touch and fired her shot just wide of the target. Then a goal kick from Charles was taken down by the attacker and as she raced towards goal she fired a low shot that cannoned back of the post and was cleared by Hendry.

Dee were starting to gain more control of the game and on the 30th minutesthe attacker gained some space on the edge of the box and fizzed a shot at goal which Charles brilliantly tipped round the post, the resulting corner being cleared by Brough.

A great chance came when Burn and Boyack worked well in the middle of the park to create space before laying the ball forward for Lownie who fired at goal but her shot was pushed away for a corner.

Walker whipped the ball over and it was headed off the line and cleared to Hendry on the edge of the box, she fired her shot wide of the right hand post.

Luthermuir then were gaining more possession and pushing Dee back into their own half with a succession of corners and the defence was holding their own. Brough had another longrange effort -which the keeper saved well.

As the half was drawn to a close Luthermuir pressed their opponents and Walker fired just wide of the post. Lawrence then fired just over with a fierce shot from 25 yards.

Lownie was put through on goal by Boyack and hit the crossbar, the Dee defence scrambled the ball away and a foul out on the right of the box was swung over by Hendry where Brough glanced a header into the opposite corner of the net for 1-0.

Luthermuir WFC started the second half knowing that the next goal was crucial and resorted back to playing 5-4-1. Within the first minute of the restart theyhad a great chance when Lawrence played a low ball to Lownie down the centre and she skipped past the defender and fired it high towards goal where the keeper brilliantly tipped it over for a corner.

Walker whipped over the corner but the defence cleared well. Dee then made some formation changes and start to up the pass on the passing which Luthermuir struggled with.

After, 61 minutes Dee got a goal back. This stunned Luthermuir and they tried to rally but before they knew it they were 2-1 down a minute later.

A goal kick by Charles was collected in midfield and she fired it high into the net from 25 yards out. Burn then had to go off injured and Stewart was unable to join the field due to a jewellery issue.

Luthermuir were now trying to chase the game with 10 men and were finding this harder with the click passing from Dee Vale. Brough found Lownie down the right and she cut inside both chasing defenders but fired her shot at the keeper from the edge of the box.

Dee continued to press Luthermuir and eventually found the killer goal after 74 minutes. A corner down the far left was missed by all in the box and went straight into the opposite corner of the net for 3-1.

This all but ended the tie and again within a minute Dee had a fourth. A cross down the left was cleared by Hendry and the Dee midfielder took it down from 35 yards and lobbed it over Charles for 4-1 toseal all three points. Luthermuir were struggling with 10 men now and continually put under pressure in the last 15 minutes but great defending kept the score line only at four.

The last chance fell to Dee after 86 minutes when the attacker cut in from the left and fired a shot that just shaved the left hand post.

FT 1-4

Luthermuir Team 5-4-1: Charles, Godsall, Lawrence, Walker, Hendry, Murison, Lownie, Boyack, Brough, Barker, Coutts (Burn) – Subs: Stewart

Player of the Match: Sammy Murison

Match Ball Sponsor: Scots Corner, Luthermuir