Hive held at home

Hive in action last weekend
Hive in action last weekend

Stonehaven welcomed last season’s First Division East champions, Cruden Bay, to Glenury on Saturday as they looked to bounce back from two consecutive defeats.

It was The Hive who started the stronger of the two sides and after sixminutes were unfortunate to have what appeared to be a perfectly legitimate goal chalked off for offside. Anderson played a chipped cross into the box which was headed on by McTavish to Shand who had his header ruled out by the referee.

The visitors went on the attack just a minute later and it was only a great recovery from McTavish that prevented the forward getting a shot on goal.

Goate did well with quarter of an hour gone when he put a cross into the box but Robertson could only send his header over the top.

Martin Shand burst forward with 20 minutes gone and forced a corner which was headed over by Jordan Reid.

The hosts took the lead when the ball was flicked over from Shand into the path of Jordan Reid who fired low into bottom left corner of the net from the corner of the 18-yard box for his first goal for The Hive.

Cruden Bay were finding themselves under increasing pressure with a series of crosses into the box but they were proving to be hard to beat.

On the half hour Armstrong fired a cross in from the left but the ‘keeper did well to hold onto it.

Stonehaven were given a wake up call when a free header crashed off of Capstick’s crossbar and down off the goal line before being cleared.

The equaliser wasn’t long in coming, however, and when the ball was lost on the edge of the area Capstick was forced to tip the shot wide for a corner. The ball was cleared but the danger wasn’t over and another cross was played to the back post where Bisset headed into the net.

The hosts were not to be outdone and they went in at the break 2-1 up after Shand chased the ball down on the edge of the 18-yard box and slotted into the net.

Stonehaven came out in the second half looking to add to their lead and on the 50th minute Mathieson played the ball to Armstrong and his low ball in saw Shand’s shot blocked brilliantly on the goal line

The Hive were left to rue that missed chance just five minutes later when the visitors grabbed an equaliser. The ball was switched over to the right and the ball was played across goal, despite suspicions of offside, and finished by Simon Whyte on the goal line.

The home sides’ lead was restored when the ball was played through to Jordan Reid who rounded the ‘keeper and slotted in from a tight angle for his second of the game.

Watt came close when his low cross was just kept out and the ball back in saw a Rob Armstrong shot blocked.

Armstrong could and possibly should have had the game sewn up. A ball down the Hive right found Jordan Reid and he squared for Armstrong but he sent his shot wide from six yards out.

This was to come back to haunt the hosts as, five minutes later, they were back on level terms.

Following a Hive throw-in, the ball was lost and Cruden Bay broke upfield. Pyper was judged to have fouled Whyte in the penalty area and it was hewho stepped up to send his spot kick past Capstick and into the net.

With just a few minutes remaining, Capstick did brilliantly following another Cruden Bay break upfield to tip a goalbound effort over the bar.

Jordan Reid was nearly the hat-trick hero in the last minute when he burst through the visitors defence but saw his shot crash off the top of the crossbar and out to safety.

STONEHAVEN: Capstick, Low, Mathieson, Reid, McTavish, Anderson, Goate(Watt), Robertson, Jordan Reid, Shand, Armstrong

Sub not used: McWilliam, Knowles