Hive let down by performance

Hive v Maud
Hive v Maud

Stonehaven welcomed current PMAC Superleague leaders Maud to Glenury on Saturday.

The Hive took the lead after just seven minutes when the ball was played to McWilliam on the left who found Sulkevicius in the middle of the 18 yard box but instead of shooting he elected to play the ball into the path of PYPER who fired a fantastic shot into the far corner of the net.

The home side had another great chance on 16 minutes. Pyper switched the ball from right to left and it fell to McWilliam who lofted the ball over the defence but Cook could only send his header wide of the back post. Anderson came even closer two minutes later when he struck a great effort from nearly 30 yards which Dunbar did well to tip over.

Capstick was called into action shortly after and he pulled off a great initial save and held at the second attempt after a shot from distance. The Hive ‘keeper was in action again a couple of minutes later when he did well to punch clear a Maud corner.

Despite the visitors enjoying a spell of pressure it was the home side who were to double their lead on 27 minutes. McTavish sent a long throw into the box which wasn’t cleared and fell to MCWILLIAM who shot low into the bottom corner from the penalty spot.

Capstick was again forced into action on 36 minutes when he made a great save from a Hale free kick on 36 minutes. Maud pulled a goal back with a few minutes of the first half remaining. A free kick was awarded on the Hive left and the ball in was headed in at the far post by player-manager Hale. The two goal advantage could and possibly should have been restored just on the half time whistle. McWilliam did well to chase down and make a block down the Maud right with the loose ball falling to Shand before he unselfishly squared to Cook but he sliced his shot wide of target..

Hive v Maud

Hive v Maud

HT- 2-1

The visitors started the second half strongly and within five minutes were level. A free kick was awarded at the edge of the area and Morrice stepped up to placed his shot low to Capstick’s left.

Things were to get worse on 58 minutes as Maud took the lead for the first time in the match. The ball was played into the 18 yard box and found Hale whose shot came off of Capstick’s right hand post and into the net. wMaud increased their lead five minutes later when a ball down the right was played into the middle and found the head of Fraser who was unmarked and made no mistake from 6 yards out and left The Hive with a mountain to climb.

The home side did continue to press however and on 81 minutes substitute Cormack played the ball to McWilliam and his low cross was cut out for a corner.

The deficit was reduced on 84 minutes when a corner from the right was headed on by McTavish before being turned in by ARMSTRONG.

Just over a minute later the ball was lost in midfield and played through to Morrice who ran through and slot past Capstick for Maud’s fifth of the game.

Full Time - Stonehaven 3 v 5 Maud

STONEHAVEN: Capstick, Low, McTavish, Robertson, Rattray, Šulkevičius, Pyper (Jordan Reid), Shand, Cook (Cormack), McWilliam (Armstrong)

Subs not used: Goate, Steven Reid

n Hive are currently looking for committee members to supplement the existing group, anyone interested can contact

Hive will play Inverness City in two weeks’ time (March 28) bus leaves Stonehaven at 9:15am from Market Square. Anyone interested in going should contact the club.