Hive pay the price for missed chances

Stonehaven 1 East Craigie 2The Hive welcomed East Craigie to Glenury Park on Saturday for their Emirates Scottish Junior Cup Second Round replay.

Thursday, 11th November 2010, 1:23 pm

Stonehaven made three changes from last week, Reece Gray replacing Barbour, Michael Mathieson replacing James Smith and Martin Shand returning from holiday to join Derek Craigie and Ryan Stewart up front.
The visitors made a dream start when captain Ross McFarlane rose unmarked at the back post to head them in front after Stonehaven keeper Michael Smith had misjudged Paul Allan’s corner with just four minutes gone.

Stonehaven pushed forward in search of an equaliser and both David Glass and Derek Craigie forced fine saves from East Craigie keeper Jamie Malone, however East Craigie were looking dangerous on the break and James Wilson should have done better than to shoot tamely at Smith after he had charged down John Cameron’s attempted clearance.

Stonehaven were level just two minutes into the second half when Malone could only palm Ian Cruickshank’s cross into the path of Glass, who rifled home a fine left foot drive at the back post.

East Craigie really should have restored their lead seven minutes later when Allan’s cross picked out Keith Wilson six yards out, but the striker could only side foot the ball wide of the target.

At the other end substitute Paul Nicoll missed two great chances to put The Hive ahead. Firstly his attempted chip over Malone lacked height and went straight into the arms of the ‘keeper and then seconds later his shot beat Malone but was cleared off the line by McFarlane.

East Craigie regained the lead on 64 minutes when Allan’s free kick was flicked on at the near post and McFarlane was on hand to bullet a header into the far corner.

Stonehaven piled forward in search of a way back into the tie and player-boss Craigie was denied twice, first by a fine save by Malone and then by the heroic McFarlane who cleared the striker’s netbound header off the line.

Stonehaven then contrived to miss two gilt edged chances in stoppage time which would have taken the tie to penalties.

First Malone fumbled Cruickshank’s cross and was left helpless on the ground as substitute Ally Patterson fired over from six yards and then Cruickshank failed to hit the target from a similar distance after Craigie and Patterson had combined well down the right hand side.

Stonehaven: M. Smith, Gray, Mathieson (Nicoll, 52), Robertson, McGregor, Cameron, Glass (Patterson, 79), Cruickshank, Craigie, Shand, Stewart.

Subs not used: Brooks, Low, J.Smith, Will, Bryant.

Stonehaven are in action again on Saturday, at home to Lewis United in the Superleague with a 2pm kick-off.