Hive’s Regional Cup hopes ended by Dee

Share this article

Stonehaven entertained PMAC Superleague rivals Banks o’ Dee on Saturday as they continued their defence of the Domino’s Pizza North Regional Cup.

It was the visitors who started the hungrier of the two sides and they took the lead after eightminutes when former Hive midfielder, Ross Forsyth, found space at Fraser Stark’s near post following a throw in which wasn’t dealt with.

The lead was doubled after 11 minuteswhen again a throw in wasn’t dealt with and another former Hive player, Keith Horne, found the net from inside the penalty area with the aid of the far post.

Shortly after, Pyper did well to clear a cross to the back post as Horne waited to apply the finish.

Martin Shand had the Hive’s best chance of the half after 20 minutes when he connected with a cross from the right but Phillips got a toe to it and prevented the ball finding the back of the net.

Pyper sent in a cross to the back post which was destined for Watt but again Phillips got a touch to clear the danger.

Just after the half hour, Pyper had a great chance to reduce the deficit but he could only head over at the back post when picked out by Watt’s cross from the left.

The Hive went in at the break 3-0 down after former Hive captain, Ian Cruickshank, fired an unstoppable shot past Stark on the 37th minute.

Half Time – Stonehaven 0 Banks o’ Dee 3

Stonehaven started the second half in the ascendancy as they looked to get themselves back into the tie and, after 52 minutes, James Workman found the back of the visitors’ net following a header across goal from Martin Shand.

 Wilson had a chance for Stonehaven when Workman crossed back into the box but his header was tame and Smith held easily.

Stark did well to keep the hosts in the game a minute later when he tipped a Keith Horne free kick round his left hand post.

Martin Shand had a chance when a ball into the Dee box from Lewis Shand fell into his path but his shot was held by Smith.

Martin Shand had another chance a minute later but his goalbound header was held by Smith.

The deficit was reduced when Smith conceded a penalty and Martin Shand stepped up to fire past Smith and ensure a tense final 
10 minutes.

The home side were unable to find the elusive third goal and it was the visitors who sealed the win and with it their progression to the next round.

STONEHAVEN: Stark,Pyper,Mathieson,Low,McCall,Šulkevičius(Cormack),Workman,Lewis Shand, Martin Shand, Armstrong(Wilson) Watt(Robertson)

Subs not used: Anderson, Goate,

Stonehaven are in action again this Saturday as they travel to The Meadows to face Ellon United in the PMAC Superleague. Kick off is at 2pm.

There were no winners in the Stonehaven Football Club Pix Six, meaning the prize now stands at £3800. Tickets are available from The Market Bar, Troupers, The Unionist Club, Stonehaven Bowling Club or by e-mailing