Hive stay top after win

Hive recorded another win to stay top
Hive recorded another win to stay top

Stonehaven welcomed Banks o’Dee to Glenury on Saturday as they looked to hold on to top spot against a side just one place below but who boasted a 100% record and also three clean sheets in their three games so far in this seasons Superleague.

The Hive started well and within 5 minutes found themselves in front.

Adams did well down the left side but saw his cross into the box cleared back out to him and he cut inside the box before he was fouled by Clark. WYNESS stepped up to take the penalty and despite Smith getting fingers to it, it snuck into the bottom corner.

A long throw in into the Hive box on 14 minutes saw the defence caught under it and only a block by Cheyne at back post prevented Josh Winton equalising.

Three minutes later and the Hive lead was doubled. JORDAN REID did brilliantly to win the ball just inside the Dee half and evaded the challenges of the defence and rounded Smith before rolling into the net.

Ten minutes before half time and slack play down the Hive left ball allowed the ball to be played into the path of Taylor but his shot was held at the second attempt by Trialist.

Taylor came close on the stroke of half time when a ball on the Hive left wasn’t closed down and it found the head of Taylor at the back post but he could only send his attempt wide.

Half time - Stonehaven 2-0 Banks o’Dee

Hive had the first chance of the second half just two minutes in when the ball was played into the path of Shand but Smith made a good save to block.

A backwards header from Cheyne header on 48 minutes fell to Taylor but his shot was lofted over and wide.

Adams had a chance to increase the lead on 51 minutes when the ball was played in down the Dee right but he could only send his shot over the top.

Three minutes later and a throw in from the right into Hive box saw Reid’s clearance rebounding off a Dee played which forced Trialist into a great reaction save at his front post.

The visitors continued to press and on 56 minutes a corner from the Hive left saw a header tipped away brilliantly by Trialist.

Another ball into the Hive box on 62 minutes saw another free header held by Trialist.

Hive broke upfield on 65 minutes and Adams cut the ball back to Jonny Cook but he dragged his shot wide of target.

Barry Smith played the ball wide to Jonny Cook on 74 minutes and he cut back to Jordan Reid who saw his deflected wide of goal but no corner was given much to the disbelief of the home side.

The visitors continued to press in the last ten minutes to get themselves back into the game but the Hive defence stood firm and held on for victory to maintain top spot.

Full time - Stonehaven 2-0 Banks o’Dee

Team - Trialist, Johnston (Goate 70), Cheyne ( Cook 63), Steven Reid, McTavish, Pyper, Shand, Smith, Jordan Reid, Adams, Wyness, Jonny Cook, Goate. Subs not used Cook, Šulkevičius, Robertson.