Late strike seals win for Hive

Hive scored a late winner against Dyce
Hive scored a late winner against Dyce

Stonehaven welcomed Dyce Juniors to Glenury on Saturday in the Superleague.

The Hive were looking to keep their recent unbeaten run going, which included last week’s win at home to Shotts Bon Accord in the Scottish Junior Cup, and extend their lead at the top of the table with their nearest challengers all on Scottish Junior Cup duty.

The visitors, who recently added the Grill League Cup to their trophy cabinet, were looking to bounce back from a 1-0 home defeat at the hands of Hall Russell United the week before while also mindful of the 4-0 defeat suffered in the corresponding fixture at Glenury back in May.

It was the home side who were first to threaten in the first minute, Jordan Reid seeing his low cross cleared by the Dyce defence.

On 12 minutes the ball fell to Armstrong on the Hive left and he found Adams on the edge of the 18 yard box but his shot flashed past the post.

Adams nearly turned provider for Shand on 15 minutes when he played a great cross from the right but Horne did well to save the header.

Dyce started to come more into the game and on 18 minutes McAllister saw his shot held after a break upfield.

Wyness headed wide from a Jordan Reid cross as it looked like it was going to be a day of frustration for the home side.

The opening goal did arrive just over a minute later however. A ball over the top from Shand fell to JORDAN REID who shot low past Horne with the aid of a deflection.

Jordan Reid came close just two minutes later but Hutchison threw himself in the way to block on the goal line.

Armstrong and Reid did well on 38 minutes and it was Armstrong who took the ball on but sent his shot wide of target.

The visitors had the last chance of the half after they broke upfield but the shot was blocked on the edge of the area and held by Knowles.

Half Time - Stonehaven 1 v 0 Dyce Juniors

Dyce came out in the second half looking to immediately redress the balance and McAllister had a chance but his shot was blocked and the Hive defence cleared.

A minute later Adams was fouled but the resulting free kick came to nothing.

Anderson was next to try his luck on 50 minutes but after good work from Jordan Reid to set him up his shot from the edge of the area was blocked.

The visitors continued to press and had strong claims for a penalty turned down following handball in the penalty area but referee Murphy was unmoved.

On 63 minutes a ball down the Hive right and Murray did well to win the ball and fired low past Knowles to level the scores.

The Hive defence scrambled clear on 72 minutes after McAllister produced a good save from Knowles and Steven Bartlet was denied from the resulting corner.

Dyce took the lead on 78 minutes when a penalty was awarded following handball in the Hive penalty area. McAllister stepped up and fired straight down the middle.

Two minutes later good play between substitute Cook and Jordan Reid saw the latter try his luck but his shot was pushed wide.

With just over five minutes left The Hive found themselves back on level terms. The ball was played to the left and Armstrong played back to McTavish whose lofted ball in to the back post was half cleared and fell to WYNESS who fired low past Horne from the edge

Cook came close on 88 minutes when he cut inside and his shot was held from the corner of the penalty area.

In stoppage time Dyce broke upfield but luckily for The Hive the ball was cleared at the front post at the expense of a corner.

From this the ball was cleared upfield and played wide to Jordan Reid who in turn squared to Cook before he found CORMACK at the back post who fired home with almost the last kick of the ball to send the home support home delighted and keep The Hive top of the table.

Full Time - Stonehaven 3 v 2 Dyce Juniors

STONEHAVEN: Knowles, Shand, Scully, Robertson(Cormack), McTavish, Steven Reid, Wyness, Anderson(Pyper), Jordan Reid, Adams(Jonny Cook), Armstrong. Subs not used: Goate, Johnston

The Hive travel to current champions Hermes on Saturday in another huge match. Kick off at Uniconn Park is at 2pm so if you’re at a loose end, get yourself along and show your support.

Stonehaven have also been drawn at home to Saint Anthony’s FC in the ETHX energy Scottish Junior Cup 3rd Round. The tie will be played at Glenury Park on Saturday, November 21 with a 1:45pm kick off.

There are sponsorship packages available for the game so if you are interested in either match or matchball sponsorship please contact or call 07738 293966.