Luthermuir chalk up their first away win of the season

Luthermuir recorded their first away win of the season
Luthermuir recorded their first away win of the season
Share this article

Luthermuir WFC travelled to Aberdeen hoping to get the first away win of the season.

From the kick off the game was a bit scrappy with both teams failing to keep the ball on the ground and play football.

First chance fell to Aberdeen on 8 minutes when Charles spilled a shot and Godsall cleared the danger. Luthermuir had a good chance on 13 minutes when Young played a ball behind the back line and Walker raced down the right, she cut in and fired at goal but the keeper saved well.

On 16 minutes Aberdeen made good ground down the left and cut the ball inside to the attacker but her shot was saved by Charles. On 23 minutes Godsall and Young worked the ball well down the left and then cut a pass to the middle of the park for Brough to control and just fire over from 30 yards.

Luthermuir had a couple of chances after this but again the Aberdeen keeper did well to save and clear her lines. The breakthrough came on 35 minutes when Young put Walker through on goal and her shot was tipped round the post, from the corner, Hendry and Walker worked a one two but as Walker went past the defender she was fouled just on the edge of the box on the far right.

Walker whipped the ball over to the back post where Boyack rose above everyone and headed it into the net for 1-0. On 39 minutes good play by Walker and Barker out wide left created a chance for Barker but her shot was saved by the keeper. Just before half time Luthermuir doubled their lead, Godsall played the ball over the back line and Coutts raced in on goal where she fired it low past the keeper for 2-0.

Luthermuir WFC started the second half where they finished by pressing Aberdeen into their own half.

On 49 minutes a ball down the left wing from Brough found Walker who raced away and crossed to Barker at the back post, she took one touch then fired it goal wards and it was pushed onto the post and clear for a corner. Walker crossed the ball and it was headed wide by Hendry. On 53 minutes a foul on Coutts was just fired over the cross bar from Brough from 25 yards.

Only a few minutes later a ball into the box was headed clear by Aberdeen and Brough collected and fired it goal wards where it was pushed round the post. The resulting corner was cleared by the home defence. On 61 minutes Barker put Walker clear and she cut inside where she fired her shot just wide of the far post.

Barker then was replaced by Santos to freshen up the midfield. On 65 minutes Coutts was fouled again, Brough fired another 30 yard shot which hit the cross bar and went out. Luthermuir then changed Coutts for Crichton on 71 minutes. On 76 minutes Aberdeen gained a corner down the right, the cross was fired low across the goal and after a scramble it was fired home for 2-1.

Aberdeen then started to press Luthermuir back into their own half but the defence stayed strong and cleared any danger. Luthermuir sealed all three points on 86 minutes when Young but Walker clear down the left, after skipping past three challenges from the chasing defenders she cut into the box and fired a low shot past the keeper into the opposite corner for 3-1 and seal the victory. Then for the last few minutes Stewart replaced Young up front.

FT 1-3, MotM: S Brough, Ball Sponsor: The Crown Hotel, Laurencekirk