Tarves v Johnshaven Athletic

Brave Johnshaven Athletic went down battling to premier league outfit Tarves in the fourth round of the Aberdeen FC Trophy. With only 11 players available, they were forced into making a number of changes from the previous game, and a number of players were forced to play 90 minutes despite suffering from a lack of match practise.

Johnshaven did start brightly and were extremely unlucky not to take the lead when an audacious shot from Rausch caught the keeper off guard but the ball sailed just wide of the post.

The home team were awarded a penalty in the ninth minute and the striker made no mistake in dispatching it past helpless D. Stephen in the goal Score 1-0.

Johner looked to equalise immediately and a Steven Smith shot was well saved from 20 yards out, then a Scott Beedie shot went just wide of the goal.

Johnshaven did finally get an equaliser their play had deserved in the 25th minute. A Robert Tringham free kick was knocked deep into the Tarves penalty area; Ross Blease headed the ball back to Steven Smith who made no mistake with the finish curling the ball into the top corner. Score 1-1.

Johner were guilty of a lack of concentration just a minute later after gifting a free kick 35 yards out, the ball was played high into the Johnshaven box and headed home by a Tarves player to put the home team 2-1 up.

Half Time score 2-1

In the 53rd minute Tarves were unfortunate not to double their lead when a good counter attacking move resulted in an attacker having what looked like a simple finish from just 8 yards out but he hit his shot wide.

In the 63rd minute Johnshaven got themselves back into the tie after Tom Dalgarno beat a couple players in the box and knocked the ball back to Scott Beedie who blasted the ball home with his left foot giving the keeper no chance. Score 3-2.

Johnshaven did ride their luck for the remainder of the game as they tired and with no substitutes available on the bench it was difficult for them to carry on the same level of effort they had shown throughout the game, they were however denied what appeared to be a stone-wall penalty after Beedie was taking down in the box, but to be fair to the home team they probably deserved the victory from the game overall.

Final Score 3-2

Team: David Stephen, Stephen Stephen, Lawrence Slavin, Robert Tringham, Steven Scott, Jack Dalgarno, Jordan Rausch, Tom Dalgarno, Scott Beedie, Ross Blease, & Steven Smith