The Hive put eight past Hall Russell in two weeks

Stonehaven travelled to Denmore Park on Saturday looking to make amends for Tuesday nights Grill League Cup to Culter while also looking to beat their hosts for the second time in a week.

The Hive had a chance in the first minute when they broke upfield but the ball across from Johnston was cleared.

Three minutes later Johnston beat Whitfield down the right and played the ball into the path of Wyness but the ball was cleared.

Jordan Reid was next to try his luck on 17 minutes but his shot was held by Simpson.

Armstrong came close on 21 minutes when a good ball into his path from Wyness saw his cut inside but his shot was dealt with by Simpson at his front post.

The opening goal wasn’t far off however and came on 27 minutes. A long ball upfield was headed back by Steven Reid into the path of JORDAN REID who beat the onrushing ‘keeper to the ball and rolled into the net.

Three minutes later Armstrong picked the ball up and cut in from the left but his shot was again held by Simpson.

Johnston played a great diagonal ball into the path of Jordan Reid on 38 minutes but he could only send his header over the crossbar.

The hosts had the last chance of the half on 40 minutes when the ball was lost in midfield but luckily for The Hive it ended with Mackie shooting wide.

Half time - Hall Russell United 0-1 Stonehaven

The Hive started the second half on the front foot and just three minutes in they found themselves two in front. The ball was played out wide to Johnston who played it to Wyness and saw the ball played back into his path and he sent a great low cross into the box which found JORDAN REID who made no mistake.

Armstrong and Jordan Reid combined well just minutes later but the resulting shot was cleared.

Substitute Hardie did well shortly after to beat McTavish but saw his cut back fired over the top from fellow substitute Forbes.

The hosts continued to try and force a way back into the tie and on 67 minutes Whitfield headed just wide at the far post from a corner kick.

Whitfield again came close two minutes later when a free kick was played to the back post but it was headed back across and luckily out for a goal kick.

Five minutes later it was Whitfield yet again who headed over from a corner kick.

The final quarter of an hour saw the hosts continue to press but The Hive defence stood firm and secured their place in the next round.

Full time - Hall Russell United 0-2 Stonehaven

STONEHAVEN: Robertson, Oort(Matthew Cook), McTavish, Pyper, Steven Reid(Goate), Anderson, Johnston(Cormack), Shand, Wyness, Jordan Reid, Armstrong

Subs not used: Low, Rattray

Stonehaven welcomed Hall Russell United to Glenury last Saturday (August 8) in the Grill League Cup and put in a convincing display hitting the visitors for six.

The first goal came within 30 minutes when the ball was played into the box where Cormack flicked on to Wyness who was hauled to the ground giving the referee no option but to award a penalty. WYNESS stepped up made no mistake from the spot.

The lead was doubled on 33 and it was WYNESS again who was on the scoresheet. A long throw from McTavish on the Hive left found head of the striker at the front post.

Half time - Stonehaven 2-0 Hall Russell United

The Hive again started the second half on the front foot and after 55 minutes found themselves 3-0 in front.

The ball was played over the visitors defence and found WYNESS who beat the onrushing ‘keeper to the ball to stab home for his hattrick.

The lead was reduced on 61 minutes when a free kick was played short and the low cross wasn’t dealt with and Shaw got just enough on it to see it over the line.

On 74 minutes it was 3-2 after the ball wasn’t closed down on the Hive right and the cross found Davidson at the back post whose shot found the back of the net.

Shand came close on 76 minutes when his shot from the edge of the area was held by Johnston.

The Hive put some daylight between themselves and their visitors on 85 minutes when a ball over top of the defence found JORDAN REID who finished superbly into an empty net from a very tight angle after the ‘keeper had come rushing out.

It was 5-2 just two minutes later when the ball ricocheted to JORDAN REID who finished well to restore the two goal cushion.

In stoppage time The Hive completed the scoring when CORMACK stabbed the ball home after Shand saw his shot saved but Johnston was unable to gather the loose ball.

Full Time - Stonehaven 6-2 Hall Russell United

STONEHAVEN: H Trialist, Smith, F Trialist(Goate), Pyper, McTavish, Anderson(Matthew Cook), Pashley, Shand, Wyness(Jordan Reid), Cormack, Armstrong

Subs not used: Johnston, Rattray