Wilson winner puts Hive top above hosts

Share this article

Dyce Juniors 0

Stonehaven 1

Following a week’s inactivity owing to Culter’s involvement in the Scottish Cup, Stonehaven travelled to Ian Mair Park on Saturday to face a Dyce Juniors side who had claimed top spot with a 3-2 win over Ellon United last Saturday.

The Hive started brightly and had two efforts in the first five minutes through Workman but there was no way past Buchanan in the home goal.

Dyce played a quick free kick on 13 minutes and found the head of Mark Bartlett but Capstick held the goal bound effort.

On the quarter hour mark, the visitors had a chance when the ball was switched well from left to right but Šulkevičius’ cross was well dealt with by the Dyce defence.

Two minutes later, Dyce played a short free kick and Robison saw his effort from the edge of the box 
held by Capstick.

The hosts were pressing the Hive defence however the Stonehaven defence were dealing well witg the crosses and free kicks coming into their penalty area.

Just after the half hour Lewis Shand played a ball wide into the path of Workman and his inviting cross was cleared for a corner by the Dyce defence at the front post.

Taylor came close for Stonehaven after 36 minutes when the ball was won in the middle of the park and played into his path but, despite getting a shot away, the pressure from Douglas saw the ball hit the side netting.

Stonehaven had a couple of half chances in the last five minutes of the half, firstly Anderson saw his low cross cut out for a corner and with the last chance of the half Lewis Shand saw his shot held by Buchanan.

The first chance of the second half fell to Taylor when he got on the end of a Duncan free kick however he rose too early and his header posed no threat to Buchanan.

Taylor should really have opened the scoring within two minutes, however, after Wilson played the ball across to the back post following good work by Workman, but he shot back across goal and wide of the far post.

On the 51st minute, Dyce broke down the Hive left and the ball in found the head of Gordon but Capstick was equal to his effort.

The opening goal wasn’t far off, just a minute to be precise.

An excellent free kick into the danger area from Duncan found the head of WILSON who headed past Buchanan with the aid of a deflection.

Capstick came to Stonehaven’s rescue on the hour mark after Dyce broke forward and McNamee crossed for Gordon however his shot was held by the Hive ‘keeper.

Adam Morrison came close after 66 minutes when a free kick was played to the back post but, despite being unmarked, he could only send his shot over the bar.

Workman came close for the Hive a couple of minutes later when he took the ball on a run and Buchanan tipped his shot wide for a corner.

Taylor had a chance when played in by Duncan but his shot was held by Buchanan.

The hosts had a great chance to get the equaliser with 20 minutes remaining when Brownhill crossed for Gordon but the ball took a bobble as he was steadying himself to shoot and he could only fire over the crossbar.

Steven Bartlett came even closer for Dyce on the 75th minute when a cross from the left wasn’t cleared by the defence and only a great diving save from Capstick kept the lead intact.

The final quarter of an hour saw little in the way of clear cut chances and The Hive secured all three points which saw them move above their hosts and into pole position in the table.

Stonehaven: Capstick, Anderson, Mathieson (Robertson), Low, McCall, Duncan, Šulkevičius (Martin Shand), Lewis Shand, Wilson, Taylor (Goate), Workman

Subs not used: Armstrong, Moorhouse