Winter stings Hive

Hive in action against Broughty Athletic
Hive in action against Broughty Athletic
Share this article

Stonehaven travelled to Dundee on Saturday to face East Region Premier League side Broughty Athletic in the Scottish Junior Cup 2nd Round.

Hive led at half time in the clash but it was Broughty Athletic who finished off the game as winners and progress.

Hive in action against Broughty Athletic

Hive in action against Broughty Athletic

It was The Hive who started the brighter of the two sides and found themselves a goal up after just 3 minutes. A ball to the left found Cook who played it to Blair Stephen who in turn laid a neat ball into the path of SHAND who finished superbly from a tight angle.

Jordan Reid had a chance three minutes later when he latched onto a ball over the top however he could only fire his shot on the bounce well over the target.

The hosts came close on 19 minutes when they were allowed a free header on goal but the ball flew wide of Stark’s left had post.

Just before the half hour Stark produced a fantastic fingertip save from a goalbound Winter free kick just outside the Hive penalty area.

A couple of minutes later the ball was played into the Hive six yard box which Cook failed to clear and the cut back was cleared for a corner which came to nothing.

Armstrong came close twice in the space of a minute just as the half was drawing to a close. Firstly, his inswinging free kick was cleared for a corner and the ball in from the far side fell into his path again and Cormack in the Broughty goal did well to tip over. It was Armstrong who took the corner and Shand was unlucky to see his near post shot come back off of the front post.

The hosts were first to threaten in the second half and they had the first chance on 48 minutes when the ball was played across box too easily but fortunately for the visitors was missed in the middle.

Winter had a chance on the hour mark and the ball was again played in too easily but the ball was blocked and cleared on the edge of the six yard box.

Dignan tried his luck with twenty minutes to go when he was played through in the Hive box however he sent his shot wide of Stark’s near post.

With The Hive playing into the wind in the second half Broughty kept pressing and were forcing numerous corners with the visitors holding firm, however this only lasted until the 81st minute.

Following another corner the ball wasn’t properly dealt with and a ball low across the box found Cameron who levelled the scores with an all too easy finish.

Pyper did well on 84 minutes when the ball fell to Sibanda but the Hive centre half made an excellent block to clear the danger.

Just as it looked as if a replay was on the cards Broughty struck a hammer blow with a last minute winner. A ball into the box was cleared but only as far as Winter who struck a low shot which found its way through a ruck of players and into the far corner of the net.

STONEHAVEN: Stark, Low, Armstrong, Pyper, McTavish, Anderson(Bellu), Stephen, Shand, Reid(Cormack), Šulkevičius(Strachan), Cook

Subs not used: Mathieson, Goate

The Hive welcome Cruden Bay to Glenury on Saturday in the PMAC Superleague, kick off is at 2pm.