Fordoun win in league and cup

Fordoun 10

Black Abbot 3

Conditions at Fordoun were near perfect for the visit of the defending champions and Galaxy raced into a two goal lead with R Welsh and Hector scoring quick free-kicks. The visiting ‘keeper then made saves from Keddie and McComiskie.

Abbot did have he ball in the net but the ref had spotted a foul in the box and chalked off the goal. Galaxy took advantage of the let off and Keddie played in Thomson who finished well to make it 3-0.

In 21 minutes Hector was fouled but R Welsh sent his free-kick past the post. Duncan pulled off a great save to deny the Galaxy in 29 minutes but unfortunately he was playing outfield and received a straight red before Hector made it 4-0 from the spot.

Ten-man Abbot got one back when a cross from the left was headed in. The goals kept coming and in 37 minutes McComiskie rolled the ball into the corner of the net to make it 5-1.

Abbot got another goal back when a cross, this time from the right hand side, was headed home. Then the visitors won a penalty which was missed before, in the last minute of the half, another cross undid the home defence and an Abbot attacker tapped in to make it 5-3.

McComiskie wasted the first chance of the second half when he lost the ball in the sun and sent a tame header past the post. It was 6-3 in 53 minutes when an R Welsh corner found its way to Keddie at the back post and he smashed the ball home.

In the 58th minute Abbot shot past the post and the following minute they hit the bar. In 62 minutes Thomson shot into the keepers arms but Galaxy were not to be denied for long.

Deans was fouled in the box and Hector again made no mistake from the spot to complete his hat-trick.

It was 8-3 in 77 minutes when McComiskie combined with Deans before slotting the ball under the Abbot number one. In 83 minutes Hector grabbed his fourth to make it 9-3 before Pearson played in Hector who found Deans whose shot was saved.

In the last minute Keddie finished a great night’s work by making it 10-3 with his second of the game.

Fordoun followed up their win with a victory over MCT in the Review Cup first round.

Pre match one MCT substitute had used Facebook to describe Fordoun as “overrated” but Galaxy would do their talking on the pitch against the Matrix Cup winners.

In the early exchanges Hector wasted a free kick and Keddie shot over for Galaxy. At the other end R Stirling, with a block, and I Welsh, with a save, denied the hosts.

In 19 minutes Tough sent a speculative effort sailing over the bar before Hector also sent a shot over. Hector then swung in a corner which McComiskie headed past the post.

In 27 MCT wasted a great chance when an unmarked attacker shot past at the back post when it looked easier to score. In the final chance of the half the MCT keeper held a Nathan Keddie header after a Dean McComiskie cross.

Five minutes into th he second half Hector played in Cuthill who saw his shot saved before Keddie crossed for McComiskie who sent his shot past the post.

Two minutes laster Cuthill sent the ball down the left, McComiskie flicked it on, Deans crossed and McComiskie again shot wide.

Galaxy broke the deadlock in 54 minutes when an R Welsh corner was headed home by Tough.

MCT went route one to try and get back into it but McPherson’s shot was well saved by I Welsh and in reply Cuthill’s effort went past the ‘keepers right hand post. McComiskie then cut the ball back for R Welsh to shoot past and in 67 minutes a cross from Cuthill hit the bar and evaded the waiting Keddie.

It was 2-0 Galaxy in 63 minutes when Keddie weaved into the box before being fouled and Hector fired home his third penalty in two games.

MCT tried to get back into it and when I Welsh beat away a corner kick it dropped to McPherson who shot past the post. In 77 minutes a Keddie cross drifted away from Deans as Galaxy looked to put the game to bed.

In 79 minutes MCT halved the deficit when the best efforts of R Stirling and I Welsh couldn’t stop the ball crossing the line. Three minutes later a great ball across the face of the MCT goal was knocked away for a corner.

In 89 minutes Galaxy put the tie to bed when a quick break was finished by top scorer McComiskie.

Defeat means this was MCT’s final game of the season while Fordoun made it three wins inside a week and have next weeks quarter-final tie at home to Northern Vaults to look forward.