Hive hit Lewis for six in league

Stonehaven went into Saturday’s Superleague meeting with Lewis United having not played since the start of January but any concerns of being ring rusty were well and truly dispelled by half-time.

Hive put the Lewis’ defence under pressure early on and Fyfe was forced into an excellent save from Steel but the ball broke to Horne who shot low under Fyfe to put Hive in front after just five minutes.

Hive pushed forward and good play by Martin Shand and Cruickshank saw Lewis Shand’s shot deflect past Fyfe and onto crossbar before being scrambled clear.

Law broke through the Hive defence but his low shot was blocked by the legs of Smith and cleared by Croll.

Hive broke down the right and good interplay between Low and Steel saw Steel beat a defender in the corner and his whipped cross found Horne who volleyed home from 15 yards to make it 0-2.

Lewis Shand then fired in a long range effort which went just over, with Fyfe struggling to get across to the ball.

Law gave the Hive goal a scare, but his shot was scrambled away under pressure. Hive then went close when a Horne corner found Steel and his looping header beat Fyfe, but the ball was cleared off the line.

Clever play between Horne and Low saw Low’s cross find Lewis Shand but his shot went wide of the goal. Ryan Smith of Lewis was booked for a late challenge shortly after as Stonehaven continued to dominate. Hive went close again when Steel found Horne whose clever flick opened up a shooting chance for himself but the keeper saved well from 18 yards.

Martin Shand then broke clear on the left and closing in on goal he unselfishly fed the ball to Horne who slammed the ball into the roof of the net from 15 yards to make it 0-3 after 38 minutes.

Law again did well to make himself a shooting opportunity but Smith did well to block his shot from a tight angle.

The Hive started the second period as they left off and nice play by Steel found Winton, who was fouled. The free kick was cleared by the Lewis defence to Croll whose ambitious shot from 30 yards screwed well wide.

Martin Shand burst into the box but his cutback was scrambled clear. Cruickshank then broke through and his powerful shot went just wide from 25 yards.

Lewis Shand made it 0-4 when his late run was not picked up and he slotted past Fyfe with Lewis defence claiming offside.

Good pressure by Lewis Shand forced the ball into the box and it broke to Horne who hammered the ball past Fyfe into the roof of the net for his fourth to make it 0-5.

Cruickshank then put substitute Nicoll though on the left, he got past Fyfe, but the keeper did enough to clear for a corner.

Nicoll and Martin Shand combined well before Shand was fouled and from the resulting free kick Sinclair pounced to make it six from close range. Lewis were reduced to 10 men in the last few minutes when Cheyne was sent off after a second booking.

Stonehaven: Smith, Low, Pyper, McCall, L Shand, Cruickshank, Croll, M Shand, Steel, Horne, Winton. Subs: Nicoll, Glass, Sinclair, Reid, Murray, Petrie, Alexander.