Hive in Cup semi-final

Share this article

Stonehaven made the journey to The Meadows on Saturday to take on Ellon United in the Domino’s Pizza North Regional Cup semi-final. 
The hosts made the better start with Leahy and former Hive defender Steven Reid having a couple of chances within the first 5 minutes although they couldn’t find a way past the Stonehaven defence.
The Hive had a chance on 7 minutes when a ball down the left from Taylor to Horne resulted in the latter having his cross blocked for a corner but the defence dealt with it. 
Ellon took the lead on 11 minutes when a ball in from left from Morrice was dropped by Smith dropped allowing Dunbar an easy tap in.
Forsyth had an effort go just over the bar on 16 minutes as the visitors looked to get themselves back in the game.
Leahy had a chance on 19 minutes after Low failed to clear but his header wasn’t met with any great conviction.
Workman came close to grabbing the equaliser just a couple of minutes later but the Ellon defence cleared the danger just as the midfielder was about to apply the finishing touch. 
Lewis Shand came close on 25 minutes when he played the ball to Alexander whose shot was blocked and the centre half tried his luck but the long range effort flew wide of the keepers’ far post.
Murray swung a dangerous free kick into the front post on 37 minutes but the defence just did enough to clear.
Murray struck a free kick off the wall on 39 minutes and Taylor fired the rebound well over.
Forsyth came close on 41 minutes when a Murray corner fell into his path but his shot went just wide of the far post.
Horne came close on 44 minutes when a ball over the top was missed by Reid but the striker saw his shot pushed out for a corner.
The equaliser wasn’t far off however and less than a minute later a great ball from Taylor to Alexander saw the ball played through to HORNE who made no mistake in slotting past Steer. 
Half Time – Ellon United 1 v 1 STONEHAVEN

Stonehaven had the first chance of note of the second half on 55 minutes but a free kick from Horne on the edge of the area was easily saved by Steer.
Sinclair came close on 58 minutes when the visitors broke upfield but his shot went just over the bar. The hosts were soon at a numerical disadvantage when Tait was shown a second yellow card on 66 minutes for a harsh challenge on Workman.
Dunbar came close to putting the hosts in front with just over 10 minutes left on the clock. A free kick on the edge of the area was blocked and the ball played back in but the striker lofted his effort over the bar from the back post.
Ellon were made to pay for the missed chance on 81 minutes as Stonehaven took the lead. A Forsyth free kick fell to Alexander who played into the path of STEWART who turned his man brilliantly and shot low into the far corner.
The Hive were not in front for long however as on 85 minutes Ellon restored parity. A long throw in wasn’t dealt with and the ball fell to Bailey who shot low past Smith and into the back of the Stonehaven net.
Horne came close to restoring the lead for Stonehaven on 89 minutes but his first time shot was palmed clear.
Steer in the Ellon goal again denied the visitors with virtually the last kick of the ball when Taylor found Alexander but the ‘keeper tipped over the bar.
Ross Forsyth, Ryan Stewart, Darren Taylor all scored for The Hive in the shootout with Campbell Watt firing over the bar. Jordan Morrice and Blair Johnston had their spot kicks saved by Michael Smith in the Stonehaven goal allowing Keith Horne to step up and fire the visitors into the final. 
STONEHAVEN: Smith,Low,Taylor,Croll,Shand,Sinclair,Murray,Forsyth,Horne,Alexander,Workman
Subs: Stewart(Murray) Pyper, Duncan, Arrowsmith, Watt(Workman)