Hive reach final

FC Stoneywood 3

Stonehaven 3

(Stonehaven won on penalties)

Stonehaven’s late late show against FC Stoneywood saw them grab an equaliser with the last kick of the ball after which three saves from Michael Smith in the penalty shootout saw them through to the McLeman Cup final against champions Hermes.

hosts Stoneywood took the lead in four minutes when a corner was cleared only as far as Bain who headed past Smith.

With 12 minutes on the clock the Hive were 2-0 down after Stevenson saw his shot blocked and Rintoul fired into the bottom corner. Stonehaven started to get to grips with the game after the second goal and on 18 minutes grabbed a goal back. Sinclair saw his shot cleared off the line but the ball came to back to him and he made no mistake. Hive put the hosts under pressure and forced corners but were just unable to find the killer touch to bring the scores level. With 37 minutes on the clock Stonehaven were handed a one man advantage when Goodbrand kicked out at Duncan leaving the referee, who was just yards away, with no option but to show the midfielder a straight red card.

Stonehaven made a substitution at half time with Cruickshank replacing Duncan.

The visitors had the early pressure in the second half, McCall was first to try his luck but his shot went wide of target then Sinclair saw his header go wide.

Stonehaven were reduced to 10 men just on the hour when Sinclair was shown a straight red card for a late tackle on Lamb.

With 15 minutes left, Stonehaven grabbed an equaliser when a corner from Alexander found McCall who headed into the top corner.

The equaliser spurred Stonehaven on to find a winner and a ball down the right found Horne whose shot was saved. The Hive were dealt a hammer blow with just three minutes left when the ball was played inside following a throw in to Stevenson who despite being in an offside position ran across the box and shot past Smith to put the hosts 3-2 in front. Stonehaven did not give up the fight and forced a succession of free kicks and corners as they looked to draw level. In the final seconds of injury-time a corner from the Stoneywood right found Murray and his header just about made it over the line. Stoneywood won the coin toss and took the first penalty in the shootout with Stevenson firing past Smith. Cruickshank coolly converted before Stoneywood’s Ogston saw his effort saved by Smith. Alexander was next up for Stonehaven but his shot was saved by the Stoneywood ‘keeper then Cromar’s spot kick found the back of the net. Horne and McCall both did the business for Stonehaven but Skinner and former Hive defender Metelski saw their penalties saved by Smith which sealed Stonehaven’s place in the final.

Stonehaven: Smith, Pyper, McCall, Reid (Murray), Low, Winton, Alexander, Duncan (Cruickshank), Martin Shand (Steel), Horne, Sinclair. Subs: Nicoll, Glass, Croll, Stewart. Stonehaven will face Hermes in the McLeman Cup final on Friday June 1. The game will take place at the Hillhead Centre in Aberdeen, kick off is 7:30pm. Tickets are £5 for adults and £3 for concessions/children so go along and support the Hive as they bid to capture a trophy.