Late goal robs Saints in opening game

St Laurence 3

Scotstown Rovers 4

A LAST-gasp goal by Scotstown Rovers denied St Laurence a point in their first game of the seasonon Saturday.

St Laurence started the game well, and at a very high tempo which the visitors struggled to cope with.

Jordan Myles had several half chances but failed to convert. The visitors had the next big chance when a through pass was threaded past the central defenders and Manson brought down the striker and the away team were awarded a penalty.

Manson escaped a red card when he looked to be the last man. The vistors free-kick failed to trouble Hadden in Saints goal.

Bruce worked well down the right and produced several through balls to both Neil Reid and Myles, but again St Laurence struggled to get the ball in the back of the net.

The away team went in front when a great ball split the defence and the striker took it in his stride to score.

It wasn’t long before the visitors doubled their lead, a poor header back by Cameron allowed Rovers in again and the striker made no mistake to finish.

St Laurence had played the better football for the 45 minutes but went in at the break 2-0 down.

St Laurence again started the half the brighter and within 5 minutes had a goal back. Good work by both Harley and McCombie released Myles down the left and he beat serveral players and found the back of the net.

The visitors scored straight from the restart. The ball was played out wide, down the right and a cross was fired into the box for the striker to tap in from close range.

St Laurence still continued to play the better football, with the midfield ruling and winning the battle in the centre of the pitch.

They got a goal when Bruce produced a superb cross and Doug Harley scored from close range.

St Laurence continued to force the ball forward, and got their reward when Myles got his second of the game.

With the game tied at 3-3 St Laurence looked as if they were going to go on and take all three points, but the keeper saved several chances from both Myles and Hay, when it looked impossible to keep them out.

Hadden made several great saves also, but it was the visitors who took all three points when the striker managed to walk past several of the St Laurence defenders and scored at the near post.

St Laurence deserved to take something from the game, on a day in which they were the better team.

St Laurence were due to play Hazelhead on Monday but this was called off due to a waterlogged pitch.