Laurencekirk teams win

Laurencekirk Lions 5 St Cyrus 4 The Lions were hoping to continue last week's improvement in form in this McLean Cup match against St Cyrus.

Early efforts by Craig Taylor and Murray Garrow went close before Jack Gallacher opened the scoring after five minutes.

St Cyrus drew level, then a goal by Jay Cook put the Lions back into the lead.

St Cyrus equalised again, but a Murray Garrow strike put the Lions 3-2 ahead as the half-time whistle blew.

The Lions extended their lead when Jay Cook scored his second from close range.

A confused fifth goal seemed to have put the game beyond the reach of St Cyrus. A seemingly goalbound effort by Murray Garrow landed between a defender and Jay Cook. The ball ended in the net with Cook claiming the final touch for a hat-trick.

St Cyrus weren't finished though and pulled a goal back after a good break forward. Scenting a comeback they threw everything into attack and forced a great save from Lions keeper Corey McCulloch.

Laurencekirk nerves were in shreds when St Cyrus scored their fourth with a great header from a corner.

Time ran out for St Cyrus and the Lions were relieved to hear the final whistle.

Laurencekirk Lions: Corey McCulloch, Andrew Mellis, Callum Barkworth, Murray Garrow, Craig Taylor, Sam Connell, Jack Gallacher, Jay Cook, Bradley Copeland.

Laurencekirk Lynxes 5 St Cyrus 1

The P5 Lynxes team played a friendly against their St Cyrus counterparts.

The Lynxes got off to a flying start with two goals from Sean Grant in the opening minutes and he hit the post soon after.

The Lynxes were moving the ball around really well with some great play in midfield by Keelan McCulloch.

St Cyrus almost struck back when a header crashed against the crossbar and rebounded to safety.

The Lynxes moved further ahead when a great run by Fraser Stuart from his own half ended with him coolly knocking the ball into the corner of the net.

The first half ended with Sean Grant finishing off a great passing move to claim his hat-trick.

St Cyrus seemed to have found their feet in the second half as they started getting forward and putting the Lynxes' goal under pressure.

Keeper Fraser Nicoll saved well when a St Cyrus forward was through on goal and also had to look sharp to hold a back header from his own defence.

The Lynxes were still dangerous going forward and a Fraser Stuart pass was finished off by Sean Grant for his fourth goal of the game.

St Cyrus got the goal their play deserved when a three player attack ended with a good finish into the corner.

For their first game together as a team this was a fantastic performance by the Lynxes who looked like they really enjoyed themselves.

Laurencekirk Lynxes: Fraser Nicoll, Fraser Stuart, Hamish McWhinnie, Keelan McCulloch, Ryan Gammie, Sean Grant, Russell Leslie, Jamie Ironside, Martyn Leslie.