Lead thrown away

Johnshaven travelled to Aberdeen’s West End Park on February 18 full of confidence after a couple of promising results and performances of late, and although they came home with a point, they were left demoralised that it wasn’t all three.

In the first minute Johnshaven nearly took the lead when David Beedie made a good run down the right hand side to square the ball to his brother Scott, but the latter’s shot went narrowly wide.

Tringham’s shot just missed the right hand post after a good knock-back from Milne, and Ross Blease also had a fine strike that shaved the top of the crossbar.

Johnshaven did take the lead in the 11th minute. An excellent chip into the box from Dalgarno found David Beedie and as he was about to unleash a shot, he was taken down and a penalty was awarded. Ross Blease stepped up and stroked the ball into the bottom corner to ensure his 100% record from the spot continued.

In the 19th minute Johnshaven doubled their lead when Dalgarno’s chip found Scott Beedie who controlled brilliantly then turned and shot to give the keeper no chance.

Johnshaven were unlucky not to further stretch their lead after long range efforts from David Beedie, Tringham and Shaun Blease all failed to beat the goalkeeper.

In the 38th minute MS United pulled a goal back. Their striker turned a Johnshaven defender and drilled the ball low into the net.

In the 42nd minute MS United found themselves down to 10 men when they had a player sent off for an off the ball incident.

The free kick by Tringham looked to be going in only for the goalkeeper to get a touch to it and knock it out for a corner. From the corner Steven Smith cut inside to the corner of the box and blasted home a shot.

Johnshaven made it 4-1 after a great cutback from David Beedie found Robert Milne who smashed the ball home from 10 yards to score his first goal since his return to the club.

Ms United made the score 4-2 in the 80th minute when a quick throw in from their winger found a free player who shot low and hard into the bottom corner.

Johnshaven could have extended their lead when a good counter-attacking move found Comiskey and Carnegie 2 on 1 with an MS United defender. With the more senior player screaming for the pass, youngster Comiskey tried to beat the player himself but was tackled.

In the 84th minute MS United pulled another goal back when an attacker was allowed time and space in the box and managed to beat the Johner keeper from 10 yards.

With the final move of the game MS United hit a hopeful ball into the Johnshaven box which beat the back line and the onrushing MS United player found himself with an easy tap in to spark wild celebration from the home touchline.

A disappointing result in the end for Johnshaven who were perhaps guilty of tactical naivety and players thinking the game was won. But they will learn from it and pick themselves up.

Man of the Match was Andrew Tringham.

Johnshaven: Matthew Smith, Jack Dalgarno, Lawrence Slavin, Ross Blease, Steven Scott, Andrew Tringham, David Beedie (Stephen Stephen), Scott Beedie, Robert Milne (Adam Comiskey), Shaun Blease, Steven Smith (Bruce Carnegie). Subs Stuart Beedie, David Stephen.