Luthermuir draw in Scottish Cup

Alford 1 Luthermuir 1

Luthermuir travelled to play Alford in the second round of the Scottish Cup knowing that a result would be difficult after previous experience of playing lower division opposition and the fact they were missing five players.

After just four minutes a good ball down the wing from Craig released Slesser. He cut inside, but as he was preparing to shoot a last ditch tackle came in and prevented a goal.

Luthermuir found it difficult to get the ball down and play flowing football and as the heavens opened up the rain would create issues all afternoon.

In 8 minutes a corner was swung in by Alford and headed onto the bar. The rebound was slotted home.

In 16 minutes Anderson crossed low across goal but there were no takers to finish.

Luthermuir continued to have the bulk of the posession and Greig weaved his way in between two players only to find another one appear and block his shot for a corner. From the resulting corner Slesser whipped the ball into the danger area where Anderson had a free header but it went straight at the keeper.

A great ball over the top from Reid released Anderson but another last ditch tackle cleared for a corner. Slesser delivered the corner deep to the back post where Duff sent a strong header into the side netting.

Slesser then delivered a great cross to Duff but again the keeper was in the right position to save.

Two minutes from half-time Greig reached the byeline and crossed to the back post. K Darar headed back to the penalty spot and the on rushing Anderson headed just over the bar.

Luthermuir struggled to get going in the second half and the rain did not help the flowing football they have been used to playing. They created their first chance when a corner by Slesser was met by Anderson and his header just went wide of the post.

Luthermuir could see the tie slipping away from them and they felt it was not going to be their day.

In 80 minutes a ball was lofted down the middle by Craig and as Anderson ran onto the bouncing ball he headed it on to Milne on the left. He connected well with his shot but the on rushing keeper blocked well.

the equaliser came five minutes from time. Slesser then fired the ball low along the ground and as the keeper went down he spilled the shot and Duff was first to react to shoot high into the net.

Luthermuir pressed for the winner but Alford held out for a replay. Luthermuir can thank their lucky stars they salvaged a replay and the management expect much more from them at home. Man of the Match was Euan Duff.

Luthermuir: Wands, Morrison, Duff, Young, R Darar, K Darar (Milne), Reid, Craig, Greig, Anderson, Slesser. Subs: Robertson, Hall, Jones, Simpson.