Mearns maintain unbeaten run in league and cup

Mearns United have continued their unbeaten start to their season. They drew 3-3 with Kincorth in the Premier Division last Wednesday, then beat Westhill 9-5 in a goal-laden Association Trophy first round tie on Saturday.

Mearns 3

Kincorth 3

Mearns took the lead in 23 minutes. A fine passing move got the ball to Ryan Stewart wide on the right and he beat the left back and cut inside before curling a fantastic shot into the net from 20 yards.

In 35 minutes a cross from Hary Legg was headed in at far post by Ross Donald

to mke it 2-0.

Mearns started second half thinking game was won and switched off and were put under pressure right from the restart allowing kincorth back into the game. Remarkably the home side gave away three sloppy goals and found themselves trailing 3-2.

With a minute left and time running out for the home team, they were awarded a penalty when three Kincorth defenders combined to knock second half substitute Ramage to the ground leaving the referee no option but point to the spot. Rob Armstrong fired the penalty home to give Mearns a point.

Westhill 5

Mearns 9

MEARNS opened the scoring in a goal-fest in 13 minutes when a Craig Irvine through ball left Rob Armstrong with a tap-in.

Two minutes later, Irvine made a darting run and sent a low hard ball across goal for Armstrong to score.

In 32 minutes Steve Law ran onto a through ball from Gary Legg and cut the ball back for Irvine to score.

Four minutes later, a Daniel Ramage pass set up Irvine for his second of the game.

In 39 minutes some fine two touch football led to an easy tap in for Ross Wilson.

A minute later pressure from Law led to the ball breaking to Armstrong and he completed his hat-trick with another tap in to make it 6-0 at half-time.

Once again Mearns made a sloppy start to the second half and conceded three goals in the space of three minutes letting Westhill think they might get back into the game.

In 67 minutes, Irvine completed his hat-trick to make it 3-7.

Fifteen minutes from time a fine pass got the ball to Armstrong and he made it 8-3 with cheeky lob over the keeper.

In 77 minutes a corner led to a scramble and the ball somehow landed up in the Mearns net.

Three minutes later, Wilson capped a fine performance in midfield when he picked up ball and ran through to sidefoot past the helpless keeper and take the Mearns tally to nine.

Westhill had the last say in this high scoring cup tie two minutes from time with a cracking 20 yard drive which left Mearns keeper Chris Black rooted to the spot.