Montrose stroll for 
50+ walkers

Montrose Air Museum
Montrose Air Museum
Share this article

A Happy New Year to all readers. The first walk of the year was well attended, with 25 members turning up at the Curlie car park.

The weather had been a bit showery as we left home, but in Montrose it was a fine, dry day – as good as we could hope for at this time of year. Three members were celebrating their birthdays on the day.

lunchtime at Charleton for the 50+ walking group

lunchtime at Charleton for the 50+ walking group

From the car-park, we took the footpath/cycle-path north, across Broomfield Road and into the Industrial Estate.

Here we followed the road through the estate for a bit, past the side of the Air Museum, then over a broken wall and into a playing field which led us eventually on to the cycle track which runs parallel to Charleton Road (A92).

We travelled a short distance along this track, to a small car-park area, where we turned left and crossed the A92 on to the road to Charleton Fruit Farm, where we stopped for lunch.

Until this point, we had been walking on recognised paths and tracks, but now the going got muddy!

the walking group spotted a deer in a field

the walking group spotted a deer in a field

We followed tractor tracks across and around a couple of fields, and at one stage, disturbed five roe deer. Three went one way, and two the other, but we were able to watch them for about a minute, before we continued on our way.

Soon we arrived at a gate in the wall on the Hillside-Montrose road. Here the group split, with the five who wanted a shorter walk heading back to Montrose, while the rest of us turned right towards Hillside.

Once under the railway line, we took Dubton Road, off to the left, past the Church, then another left turn on to the road to Dubton Farm. Here we had fields on either side of us; the farm track deteriorated as we went along, until finally it ended in deep water under a railway bridge.

The water must be fairly permanent, as a raised walkway has been constructed along one side. Having safely navigated that, we found ourselves on the edge of the Borrowfield houses so it did not take us long to make our way back to the starting point at the Curlie.

Distance covered was about four and a half miles. Apart from the deer, we saw no wildlife. The next walk will be on Tuesday January 20, from Arbroath to Arbirlot. Starting point will be the Leisure Centre car-park. As usual, the minibus will leave the Burgh Buildings in Laurencekirk at 10am.