Spurs advance after scare

Stonehaven Spurs U16 4 Ellon 2 (AET)

The Stonehaven under-16 side took to the field against opponents from Ellon, pretty confident of an easy afternoon against League ‘C’ opposition but, as they nearly learnt to their cost, not treating your opponents with respect can be a dangerous thing.

Stonehaven were quick on the attack with Dalgarno cleverly putting through Reid on goal in only 20 seconds but his shot went wide. After only five minutes, midfielder Roseweir won a tackle just outside of the penalty area, went past two players and showed great coolness to pick his spot in the corner of the goal. At this point, the Stonehaven team were on top, with Dennahy and Lownie in particular, looking dominant at the back.

However Ellon had some good ball players and their winger was tackled by Malcolm in the penalty area and the referee awarded a penalty. Goalkeeper Mitchell dived the right way but was unable to get his hands to the ball.

Dalgarno was putting the Ellon defence under pressure with his constant harassing and was unlucky when a shot hit the crossbar. Stonehaven had had the majority of possession in the first half but seemed unable to be able to step up the necessary gear to take control of the match so at half-time the scores were level.

In the 46th minute a Roseweir free-kick from 30 yards rattled the crossbar and Dalgarno reacted quickest to hit the rebound home.

Ellon however responded well and Mitchell reacted well coming out to save from an Ellon forward bearing down on goal.

Gunn played a great ball through to Reid who hit over. Mair cleared a goalbound shot off the line, then Gunn headed wide of the post from a Roseweir free kick. Ellon created many chances particularly down the right flank and were unlucky when hitting the woodwork. They scored a deserved equaliser after 71 minutes when Malcolm conceded a second penalty. Extra time beckoned and a score of 2-2 was a fair reflection of the game.

In the sixth minute of extra-time, Dennahy flighted a free kick into the box which the Ellon keeper fumbled and substitute Milne forced home his fifth goal of the season and Roseweir secured the victory in the second period of extra time with a fine dribble into the area which ended in him being fouled.

He picked himself up to convert the penalty to send the Stonehaven youngsters through to Round Two and an away tie versus Colony Park at Inverurie on Saturday.

Man of the Match was Stuart Lownie for a very effective defensive display and some excellent distribution

Stonehaven U16: Mitchell, Lownie, Dennahy, Malcolm, Ferguson, Emslie, Gunn, Roseweir, Mair, Dalgarno, Reid, McWilliam, Cerretti, Milne, Warren, MacRae.