Stonehaven left looking for boss

Stonehaven Juniors are looking for a new manager after the sudden departure of Dougie Baxter.

Baxter told Stonehaven officials on Saturday that he was leaving to take over as manager of fellow Superleague side Banks o’ Dee.

It did not come as a complete surprise to the Hive committee as the Aberdeen side had asked permission to speak to the manager.

Stonehaven went into Saturday’s Superleague encounter with FC Stoneywood at Glenury looking to build on the cup win over Colony Park and pick up their first league win of the season at the fourth attempt.
The game came to life just before the quarter hour when Ollie McIntosh had a shot blocked and the ball fell to Forsyth who saw his shot crash back off the bar.

The visitors had their first chance two minutes later when Cromar saw his free kick from the edge of the area come back off the wall.

Murray had a chance for Stonehaven less than a minute later when won the ball and ran through but lofted his shot wide.
On 22 minutes the hosts were in front. After a couple of corners in quick succession the ball finally found it’s way into the box and Jack McIntosh saw his shot blocked but Ollie McIntosh made no mistake from six yards out.

Five minutes later a ball down the Hive right found Stevenson who saw his shot well saved by Smith.

With five minutes left of the first half, The Hive doubled their advantage. McLelland advanced down the left and played a great left foot ball in to Alexander who controlled brilliantly and fired into the far corner.

FC Stoneywood came back into the game in the remaining minutes of the half and with virtually the last kick grabbed a goal back when McKechnie picked the ball up and shot past Smith.

With ten minutes gone in the second half the first chance came when a ball into the box by Forsyth was cleared by the visitors defence at the front post. The Hive were having better of the possession but had no real cutting edge to create any chances.

Alexander came close for Stonehaven on 74 minutes when he took the ball and ran with it, passing two defenders but he could only send his left foot shot wide of goal.
Just a minute later a ball from Murray to Watt saw the latter try his luck with a left foot shot and he was unlucky to see his effort fly just wide of target.

The visitors’ substitute Greig was proving a good outlet down the left and on 80 minutes he broke forward and his low cross was cleared at the front post.

The equaliser came on 85 minutes, Murray lost the ball in midfield and Cromar sent in a cross which found the head of Strachan who headed past Smith.
Stonehaven had the last chance of the game when Forsyth was played clean through on goal but despite being blatantly brought down there was no free kick given and the midfielder was booked for dissent.
Stonehaven: Smith, McLelland, Low, Croll, Jack McIntosh, Forsyth, Alexander, Winton, Ollie McIntosh (McCall), Murray, Watt. Subs: Arrowsmith, Taylor, Pyper.

Stonehaven face Oakley United away on Saturday in the Scottish Cup. Kick off is at 2:30pm. For a seat on the bus please e-mail or call Neale Scott on 07738 293966.