U15s wait for promotion outcome


Stonehaven U15s travelled to Ellon on Sunday for their final league game of the season.

Stonehaven needed a good start and they got it with a ‘route one’ goal after just 3 minutes. Keeper Forbes punted the ball down the middle, Lovick headed it on and Gammie raced through to confidently slip the ball past the Ellon ‘keeper.

Stonehaven got a real lift with a goal just three minutes after the restart. Collie won a corner with a driving run and shot which the ‘keeper did well to push past the post. The same player then rose highest to firmly head the corner home.

Stonehaven had very few alarms until the 55th minute when Ellon were awarded a soft looking penalty. McKenzie was adjudged to have fouled an Ellon striker as he ran on to a through ball. The spot-kick just sneaked past Forbes who was unlucky not to make a save.

The Stonehaven supporters were anxiously checking their watches before the pressure was lifted with a third goal five minutes from time.

The Ellon ‘keeper made a good save to deny Gammie but the ball fell to Barclay on the left side of the penalty area. His first effort was well saved but his second left foot shot found the net via the post and a covering defender on the line.

The full-time whistle brought cheers from the drenched Stonehaven supporters and the anxious wait started for the result of the match taking place in Huntly. The news soon came through that Fraserburgh had drawn 2-2 with Huntly so the agony continues for Stonehaven.

If Fraserburgh win their last three matches then they will have the same number of points as Stonehaven and it is likely that promotion will be decided by a play-off match on neutral ground.

Whatever happens, the Mineralwell side can be proud of their season. They have won ten and drawn one of their last eleven league games to bring themselves within touching distance of the ‘A’ league and delighted their supporters in the process with some spirited and determined performances.